Friday, September 3, 2010

Oklahoma City Air Terminal — Oklahoma City Historical Postcards

Oklahoma City Air Terminal 

From my Oklahoma City postcard collection…

This is where it began for me. If you know me at all, you know that flying was my first life.

In 1957 the National Air Show was held in Oklahoma City at Will Rogers Field. I clearly remember taking relatives to the airport before the show. A fighter was practicing for the show, broke the sound barrier and blew all the windows out of the terminal. That was impressive for a 9 year old kid! We went back the next week to the show and I was hooked. Little did I know my dreams would be fulfilled a dozen years later!

In the 1960’s this terminal was replaced with version 1.0 of what we have today and was named Will Rogers World Airport. Oklahoma City has the distinction of having the only airport using ‘world’ in it’s name. It’s also named after someone killed in a plane crash and that its’ name makes no reference to the actual location.

Originally posted at Oklahoma City Real Estate Blog

Submitted by OKCHomeSeller's Posterous via email from http://okchomeseller.posterous.com/oklahoma-city-air-terminal-oklahoma-city-hist

No comments:

Post a Comment