Monday, May 30, 2011

Honor Flight | For the WWII Vets

GuadalcanalWe need to honor the World War II vets. Unfortunately, we are losing them at a rate of 1,000 per day. My dad was one of those vets and great Americans, but unfortunately I lost him in 1964. I miss hearing his stories of the war in the Pacific, specifically Guadalcanal, where he served in the Navy Seabees. He had an influence on me that has lasted a lifetime, even though I lost him at a young age. I chose to enter the military in large part out of respect to my dad and a responsibility I felt to serve. I wish he had been there to talk with me through my time in the military. I know he would have been proud.

I know a lot of people I served with that felt called to serve by someone in their family. The World War II Vets set the bar quite high for service. The attrition rates, living conditions, and carnage they saw were at levels that is hard for most of us to comprehend.

Honor Flight


Honor flight is an organization with the goal of getting as many of the living World War II vets to the World War II Memorial in Washington DC. If you see a WWII vet, be sure to thank them while you still have the opportunity.

Photo Credit: William A Wilson Sr. (1902-1964) Thanks Dad

Originally posted at Oklahoma City Real Estate Blog

Submitted by OKCHomeSeller's Posterous via email from http://okchomeseller.posterous.com/honor-flight-for-the-wwii-vets

No comments:

Post a Comment